Dead Duratec

Wenn du mit den Ford Cougar V6 & R4 Motoren, Getrieben, Abgasanlagen sowie deren Anbauteilen Probleme hast, ist dieser Forums-Abschnitt goldrichtig

Themenstarter
Freebird

Hy Guys and Gals, I am a member of UKCougar.com and have just joined your forums. Unfortunatly not under very good circumstances.
I have a 2000 Cougar V6 which has bever had any problems, maintained by Ford dealers, never used oil etc, and just out of warranty.
Its done 51k (miles) and a couple of days ago the crankshaft suddenly failed with no warning. A replacement engine is required costing about 3,500 UK Pounds.
Research has shown that there have been problems with early oil pumps which aerated the oil causing oil starvation and (what seems more likely in my case), on hard right hand turns the oil in the sump can leave the pump and crank dry which will immiediatly case the crank to fail. I believe Ford later redesigned the sump but did not see it as a recall issue.
I am looking for Duratec owners who may have suffered from this problem, and also to advise other owners of a potential fatal engine problem.

Themenstarter
southern_coug

Welcome to the boards!
Even though it's under real bad circumstances.
Up to now I've only heard about a recall on the fuel pumps since they can cause problems at hights and turns.
Have you checked [url]http://www.fastcougar.com/forums[/url]?
They have quiet a lot informations on recalls and stuff. Hope that helps

Tom

Themenstarter
Freebird

Hi southern_coug and thanks for the welcome.
There was some mention of the fuel pump recall on the UKCougar.com forum, Im not sure if this was a US recall only?
I have been on most of the cougar forums about my engine problem, and I recieved a reply from Terry Haines who I believe designed the duratec. I posted this on UKCougar.com, follow this link [url]http://www.cougarforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2520[/url]

bigmek
Cougar-Profi
Baujahr: 1998
Motor: R4

Hi and welcome to EURO NECO !

Well, I heard of some problems like that. A former NECO Member and Cougar owner, a friend of mine from Canada, had lots of problems, but that was in 2000. He got the engine finally replaced, on warranty. Well, I have a link with the list of Recalls and Technical Service Bulletins:
[url]http://www.alldata.com/TSB/36/993620C8.html[/url]
For the 98+ Mercury Cougar with 2.5L V6 Engine
I just saw that another friend of mine Bobnoxious answered to your thread, I just vistied him in Houston :)
Anyway. Perhaps someone else from NECO in the US can add something, it's a much bigger crowd there and I heard of several problems. Since Ford see's obviously no reason to make a recall on that, so I would just write a complaint to Ford in that case. I did that with my old car I had ( was a Volkswagen) before I got the Cougar. It worked every time. I got at least a refund for the repairs.Not always the whole amount, but at least 50 percent.
I wish you all the best ...
Marc-Eric
Bild

Themenstarter
Freebird

Marc-Eric, thanks for the welcome and also for the link and information, exactly what I need. You can be sure that whatever happens I will post the results here for other members information.
Ford have recieved my complaint today, and I await their response. I have had a lot of information from the US, in particular Terry Haines who I believe I am right in saying designed the Duratec engine. He tells me that there is also a problem with 'spun bearings' and that
most dealers over here appear to have be given the 'ignore at all costs' direction from Ford ,on any engine with a spun bearing
I will keep you informed and thanks again.

Phil

Themenstarter
southern_coug

I'll cross my fingers for you to get the pump replaced on warranty.
It's pretty interesting what Terry Haines said.
How did you get in touch with him? We should try to convince him to join the Euro-NECO board :D

Themenstarter
Freebird

southern_coug, thanks my friend. I found Terry on Fordcontour.org while researching other Fords that used this duratec. He is very much in demand as you can imagaine, so I didnt approach him directly. However he replied to my post on there with so much expert information, and I am very grateful to him for taking the time.
I had a very interesting post from NorCalCoug a Moderator on fastcougar.org as follows
The baffled oilpan didn't really reduce this problem. Spun bearings from oil pressure drop happen infrequently (though to many cars due to the number of Duratecs on the road), simply due to design. The oil pressure drop causing the spun rod bearing is due to not enough oil. Now, you ask yourself "How can it be due to lack of oil if I was near MAX on the dipstick?"

First off, you weren't AT max, you were near it. At high RPM, on sweeping right hand turns is where people tend to spin a bearing. Secondly, ask yourself why Ford put a 6-quart dipstick in newer duratecs instead of the 5 1/2 quart dipstick.

In short, keep 6 quarts in the car and you'll be fine.

Themenstarter
southern_coug

I can imagine that he's a very busy guy and if he would be around all the Ford boards out there he would have a new full time job :D

That's really interesting!
I thought I could "rely" on the dipstick and my oil level was always about in the middle of it.
But now I think I have to go down and fill it up a lil bit right now :D

Blackadder
Lehrling
Baujahr: 2000
Motor: V6

Thanks for the information Freebird, now I need to convert quarts to litres :/ ;)
Bild

Themenstarter
southern_coug

1 liter = 1.0566882 US quarts

[url=http://www.google.com/search?q=quarts+in+liter&sourceid=opera&num=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8]Source[/url]

:D
Antworten